Aoibhinn Ni Shuilleabhain
Are you Aoibhinn Ni Shuilleabhain?
Edit your profile
Aoibhinn is an Assistant Professor in the School of Mathematics & Statistics where she is director of the BSc. Science, Mathematics & Education programmes in the College of Science. Her research investigates issues in Mathematics Education, with particular focus on teacher education and the development of teacher pedagogical content knowledge. Lesson study, a Japanese model of teacher professional development, forms a large part of her research and she has been involved in a number of Irish-based and international lesson study projects. As a former post-primary teacher and graduate of Theoretical Physics, Aoibhinn is also interested in gender and socioeconomic equity issues within the teaching of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). Following on from her extensive experience as a science communicator on TV, radio and in print, she is also interested in research on public engagement in science and in 2017 won the SFI Outsanding Contribution to STEM Communication Award. Aoibhinn has published nationally and internationally on her research and plays an active role in a number of national and international networks. She is a member of the STEM Education Policy Review Group of the Department of Education & Skills and is also a member of the Project Maths Implementation Support Group (DES). She is a member of the Irish Mathematical Society Education sub-committee and the CERME (Congress of European Researchers in Mathematics Education) International Programme committee. She is also an executive committee member of the national WITS (Women in Technology and Science) group and is a member of Science Gallery Dublin's National Education Committee.
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN APPOINTMENTS
- Programme Director BSc. Science, Mathematics & EducationUCD, School of Mathematics & Statistics, Ireland13 Aug 2018
- Assistant ProfessorUCD, School of Mathematics & Statistics, Dublin, Ireland1 Sep 2014
- Coordinator Mathematics PedagogyTrinity College Dublin, Mathematics4 Sep 2011 - 1 Jul 2013
- Mathematics, Physics, Applied Mathematics TeacherSt. Mark's Community School13 Jan 2008 - 31 Aug 2011
- Modular Course FacilitatorProject Maths Development Team4 Oct 2010 - 30 Jun 2014
- BScUniversity College Dublin2001 - 2005
- H Dip in EducationTrinity College Dublin2008 - 2009
- PhDTrinity College Dublin