Barbara Dooley is currently Dean of Graduate Studies & Deputy Registrar in UCD. She also lectures in the UCD School of Psychology and was Director of Research for Headstrong - The National Centre for Youth Mental Health form 2007-2016. Barbara's particular expertise is in the area of applied psychological research designs and statistical analyses focusing on youth mental health. She has been involved in a number of large scale national studies estimating prevalence of psychological problems in young people e.g. eating disorders, depression. She is particularly interested in how help-seeking behaviour is linked to psychological issues such stress, depression, alcohol consumption, self-esteem and social support. She produced a report, http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/MyWorldSurvey.pdf which studied the mental health of young people in Ireland. The My World Study is the first national study of youth mental health in Ireland. The report presents the findings of a very large sample of young people (N> 14,000) aged 12-25 years looking at both the risk and the protective factors.
- Head of School of PsychologyUniversity College Dublin1 Sep 2005 - 31 Aug 2009
- Vice-Principal Teaching and LearningUniversity College Dublin3 Sep 2009 - 31 Jul 2014
- Dean of Graduate Studies and Deputy RegistrarUniversity College Dublin1 Aug 2014
- BAUniversity College Dublin
- Dip StatTrinity College Dublin
- PhDUniversity College Dublin