Dr Benjamin R Cowan is Assistant Professor at UCD's School of Information & Communication Studies. He completed his undergraduate studies in Psychology & Business Studies (2006) as well as his PhD in Usability Engineering (2011) at the University of Edinburgh. His research lies at the juncture between psychology, human-computer interaction and communication systems in investigating how design impacts aspects of user behaviour in social, collaborative and communicative technology interactions. He focuses specifically on how theory and quantitative methods from psychological science can be applied to understand and design speech and language technologies across of number of domains and contexts. Dr Cowan is the co-founder and co-director of the HCI@UCD group, one of the largest HCI groups in Ireland and is a funded investigator in the SFI funded ADAPT Centre.
- Research FellowHCI Centre, School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham4 Oct 2010 - 1 Sep 2014
- Research AssistantUniversity of Edinburgh2 Oct 2006 - 1 Sep 2007
- Visiting Research FellowUniversity of Edinburgh10 Feb 2014 - 10 May 2014
- MA (Hons)University of Edinburgh
- PhDUniversity of Edinburgh
- FrenchCan read, write, speak and understand