Are you Bryan Fanning?
Edit your profile
I am UCD's Professor of Migration and Social Policy. I am academic who studies migration and social policy against the background noise, amplified on the internet, of xenophobic anxiety and political nativism, promoted by some politicians who claim that walls and not bridges will bring us security, stability and prosperity. What I have learned from my own research and from that of others is that migrants tend to be courageous, hardworking, enterprising, loyal to their families and those who dependent on them, willing to belong and even if they appear to go their own way - in terms of the clothes they wear, the food they eat and in how they worship ' they tend of integrate, even when efforts are made to deliberately block or exclude them.My research interests also include the modernisation of Irish society, with a focus on the history of ideas and debates that have shaped its development. I have written several books on both topics. Examples include Histories of the Irish Future (2014), an intellectual history of the predicaments facing Ireland as understood by key writers since 1650 and the forthcoming (2018) Migration and the Making of Ireland, a history of immigration since 1600 which also addresses migration from Ireland.I welcome expressions of interest to undertake doctoral research in these and related areas. In particular, I think there are opportunities for research on understanding Ireland's experiences of immigration in comparative contexts, social policy issues relating to diversity in Ireland, the experiences of marginalised groups or communities, ethnographies of diverse twenty-first century Ireland and the impact of Brexit on immigrant communities in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. I am also interested in supervising doctorates on the history of social policy in Ireland.
- College Lecturer/Assistant LecturerUniversity College Dublin, Department of Social Policy and Social Work30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- Associate LecturerOpen University30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- Associate Lecturer:National College of Ireland30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- Associate LecturerNational Distance Education Centre30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- Senior Committee SecretaryLondon Borough of Haringey30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- Committee SecretaryLondon Borough of Southwark30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999