Are you Claire McGuinness?
Edit your profile
I am assistant professor, Deputy Head of School, and Director of Undergraduate Programmes in the UCD School of Information and Communication Studies, (ICS), Ireland. I have been teaching and researching information and digital literacy for more than a decade, and was awarded a PhD in Library & Information Studies in 2005. I am also module designer and coordinator of two information & digital literacy modules at undergraduate and postgraduate level in the School of ICS, in which I endeavour to combine theory with practice, and to use active and e-learning methods to engage my students and encourage them to learn. I am particularly interested in instructional training for information professionals, and since 2004 my advanced instructional module has aimed to prepare trainee information professionals on the Masters and Graduate Diploma programmes for the teaching work that they are often expected to undertake in the workplace. I am also the coordinator of the Capstone module in the MLIS programme and the Thesis module in the MLIS and MSc Information Systems programmes in the School of ICS. I also currently serve as the Director of Undergraduate Programmes (BSc Social Sciences, BA (minor)). I have published a number of articles and book chapters on information and digital literacy, information professionals as teachers, and academic-librarian collaboration; my first book, Becoming Confident Teachers: A Guide for Academic Librarians, was published in 2011. You can see a preview of my book here. My most recent book from Chandos Publishing, which was written in collaboration with Dr. Crystal Fulton, entitled Digital Detectives: Solving Information Dilemmas in an Online World, was published in February 2016.I am also a qualified librarian, and received my MLIS degree from UCD in 1995.
- Post-doctoral research fellow (half-time)University College Dublin, Research and teaching post.1 Jan 2006 - 9 Mar 2007
- College lecturer (half-time)University College Dublin, Lecturing post in the School of Information & Library Studies1 Sep 2008 - 13 Jan 2012
- Part-time (occasional) lecturerUniversity College Dublin17 Jan 2011
- Assistant ProfessorUniversity College Dublin1 Sep 2014
- BADublin City University (DCU) IRL
- MLISUniversity College Dublin
- PhDUniversity College Dublin