Are you David Brayden?
Edit your profile
David Brayden is Full Professor of Advanced Drug Delivery at the School of Veterinary Medicine and a Fellow of the UCD Conway Institute. Following a Ph.D. in Pharmacology at the University of Cambridge, UK (1989), and a post-doctoral research fellowship at Stanford University, CA (1991), he set up Elan Corporation's pharmacology laboratory in Dublin (1991). At Elan, he became a senior scientist and project manager of several of Elan's Joint-Venture drug delivery research collaborations with US biotech companies. In 2001, he joined UCD as a college lecturer in veterinary pharmacology and was appointed Senior Lecturer (2005), Associate Professor (2006), and Full Professor (2014). He completed a successful Principle Investigator Grant from SFI on the topic of oral delivery of novel mucoadhesive polymeric peptide conjugates (2005-2009). Professor Brayden was the Director of an SFI Research Cluster grant (The Irish Drug Delivery Research Network), that was awarded 7.2 million euro by SFI from 2007-2013. He was the Deputy Coordinator of an EU 7th Framework grant on oral nanomedicines (www.TRANS-INT.eu), 2012-2017. In 2014, he was one of four Principal Investigators (Co-PIs) on the successful SFI Centre bid in Medical Devices (CURAM), worth over 40 million EUR over 6 years. He is the author or co-author of more than 200 research publications and patents. Professor Brayden serves on the Editorial Advisory Boards of Drug Discovery Today, European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews and the Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics. In 2017, he became an Associate Senior Editor of Therapeutic Delivery. He was Chairman of the UK-Ireland Chapter of the Controlled Release Society (2003-2006), Co-Chair of the Veterinary Programmes at the CRS international conferences (2003-2006), and served on the CRS Board of Scientific Advisors (2006-2009) and the CRS Annual Meeting Programme Committee (2015, 2016). At UCD, he was Chairman of the Animal Research Ethics Committee (2005-2007) and was a member of the UCD Research Ethics Committee (2006-2011) and was elected by Academic Council to the UCD Promotions and Tenure Committee (2010-2012). He was Director of Research for the School of Agriculture, Food Science and Veterinary Medicine (2007-2008) and Head of the Veterinary Biosciences Section from 2013-2017. On the teaching side, he coordinates undergraduate and postgraduate modules on Biological Fluids and Drug Discovery and Development and contributes to a module on Cell Communication. He contributes Professional Ethics material to the Conway Institute Core Research Skills modules and also coordinates a 4th level online module on Drug Discovery and Development for both UCD and Clinical Research Development Ireland (CRDI). His major research interests are in oral peptide delivery and nanomedicines and his team currently comprises 4 PhD students, 2 postdocs and a technician. In 2015, he was made an Adjunct Professor at NUI Galway to support his Co-PI role in the SFI CURAM Centre. He is a Fellow of the Controlled Release Society (elected 2012), the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (elected 2017), the EU Academy of Sciences (elected 2017), and received a Lifetime Achievement Award from Marquis Whose Who (2017).
- Research AssistantUniversity of Cambridge, United Kingdom1 Sep 1988 - 1 Oct 1989
- Post-doctoral research FellowStanford University, Cystic fibrosis Research Laboratory, Palo Alto, United States3 Oct 1989 - 30 Oct 1991
- Assistant ProfessorUniversity College Dublin, Ireland7 Aug 2001 - 9 Jun 2005
- Associate ProfessorUniversity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland14 Jun 2005 - 1 Sep 2006
- ProfessorUniversity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland2 Sep 2006 - 31 May 2014
- Full ProfessorUniversity College Dublin, Ireland4 Jun 2014
- Adjunct ProfessorNational University of Ireland, Galway, Medicine, Galway, Ireland11 Jun 2015
- Senior Scientist / Programme ManagerElan Biotechnology Research4 Dec 1991 - 30 Jun 2001
- BSc(Pharm)University College Dublin
- MPhilUniversity of Cambridge
- MScUniversity College Dublin
- PhDUniversity of Cambridge
- People ManagementIrish Management Institute, DublinIndustry-training course at Elan Pharma.