Are you Denis Shields?
Edit your profile
My main teaching interests are in developing skills of data analysis, data interpretation and critical thinking in students faced with complex biological datasets. I lead a research group of two PhD students and one research assistant, and am involved in a number of other research collaborations. Aside from working in universities (UCD, TCD, RCSI, Southampton) I have also worked in industry, in the computational analysis of clinical datasets ( ICON Clinical Research, and Surgen Ltd), and maintain contacts with industry, including my role as a member of the Enterprise Ireland funded Food for Health centre, which works with dairy industry partners. I am strongly interested in interdisciplinary research uniting computational and experimental approaches, and to promote this, I am Director, UCD Bioinformatics Centre; Director, UCD Bioinformatics and Systems Biology PhD Programme; Deputy Director, UCD Wellcome Trust Computational Infection Biology PhD Programme. My publications have been extensively published and cited with 12,070 citations and a H-index of 53 (according to Google Scholar, see https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=KxEwP9UAAAAJ). I have co-authored 178 articles in peer-reviewed journals, being first or last (senior) author of over 70 of these. They have been published in journals ranging from those with a wide readership (like Nature), to others which are much more specialist (like the Journal of Chemical Information and Modelling). Of my two published co-authored patents, one has been licensed to industry. Alumni of my research group include 7 research MSc students, 16 PhD students, and 12 postdoctoral researchers. They have gone on to academic positions (Professor of Bioinformatics, NUIG; Senior Lecturer, University of New South Wales, Lecturer computer science UCD; Wellcome Trust Henry Wellcome Fellowship UCD) and to industry positions (Research Scientists and group leaders in Novartis, Pfizer, Merck, Havoc, Regeneron, Human Longevity, Monsanto), and to found a peptide bioinformatics company (Nuritas).
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN APPOINTMENTS
- Full Professor of Clinical BioinformaticsUniversity College Dublin, Medicine, Dublin, Ireland1 Oct 2005
- Senior LecturerRCSI, Clinical Pharmacology, Dublin, Ireland1 Oct 2002 - 30 Sep 2005
- Honorary LecturerRCSI, Clinical Pharmacology, Dublin, Ireland1 Jan 1998 - 30 Sep 2002
- Wellcome Bioinformatics FellowTrinity College Dublin, Genetics, Dublin, Ireland1 Apr 1994 - 31 Dec 1997
- Research Fellow in Genetic EpidemiologyUniversity of Southampton, Public Health, Southampton, United Kingdom1 Aug 1990 - 31 Dec 1992
- Research Assistant, Irish National Centre for BioinformaticsTrinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland1986 - 1989
- Biometrics ManagerIcon Clinical Research, Dublin, Data Management and Statistics, Dublin, Ireland1 Jan 1993 - 31 Mar 1994
- Managing DirectorSurgen Ltd, Dublin 2, Ireland1 Jan 1998 - 31 Aug 2005
- BA (Mod)Trinity College Dublin
- PhDTrinity College Dublin