Are you Douglas Smith?
Edit your profile
After studying French and German at Oxford, I completed a doctorate on the French reception of the work of Friedrich Nietzsche at the same university in 1992. This formed the basis of the monograph Transvaluations (1996), a project accompanied by two translations of books by Nietzsche into English (On the Genealogy of Morals and The Birth of Tragedy). My first permanent post was in the French department of the University of Warwick. Since joining the French section in UCD in 1997, I have taught French literature (nineteenth and twentieth centuries), cinema and theory and published research across all three areas. In 2003-04, I was the recipient of an Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences Government of Ireland Senior Research Fellowship. I have organized and co-organized a number of international symposia and conferences, including 'Empire and Culture Now' (2006) (with Mary Gallagher), 'Defining Space' (2007) (with Hugh Campbell), 'Mythologies at 50: Barthes and Popular Culture' (2008), 'Exploring Supermodernity: Marc Augé in Context(s)' (2009), 'Revisitng André Bazin' (2013), and 'Baudelaire's Afterlives' (2018) (with Mary Gallagher and Michael Brophy). From 2007 to 2011, I served on the editorial board of the Irish Journal of French Studies and since 2013 have been a member of the editorial board of Paragraph: A Journal of Critical Theory. Academic Degrees/Diplomas: BA (1st Hons) French and German (Oxon) (1988); PGCE (Queen's University Belfast) (1989); DPhil (Oxon) (1992). Academic Positions Held: Laming Junior Fellow, The Queen's College, Oxford, 1992-93; Lecturer in French Studies, University of Warwick, 1993-1997; College Lecturer in French, University College Dublin, 1997-2004; Senior Lecturer in French, University College Dublin, 2005-present.
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN APPOINTMENTS
- Member of Interim Board, Humanities InstituteUniversity College Dublin, Ireland1 Sep 2004 - 31 Aug 2005
- Head of French and Francophone Studies, School of Languages and LiteraturesUniversity College Dublin, Ireland1 Jan 2010 - 31 Aug 2013
- Head of Research, Innovation and Impact, School of Languages, Cultures and LinguisticsUniversity College Dublin, Ireland1 Sep 2014 - 31 Aug 2018
- Member of Research, Innovation and Impact Committee, College of Arts and HumanitiesUniversity College Dublin, Ireland1 Sep 2014 - 31 Aug 2018
- Laming Junior FellowThe Queen's College, Oxford, United Kingdom1 Sep 1992 - 31 Aug 1993
- Lecturer in French StudiesUniversity of Warwick, United Kingdom1 Sep 1993 - 31 Aug 1997
- College Lecturer in FrenchUniversity College Dublin, Ireland1 Sep 1997 - 31 Aug 2005
- Senior Lecturer in FrenchUniversity College Dublin, Ireland1 Sep 2005
- BAOxford University UK
- DPhilOxford University UK