School of History
Are you Elva Johnston?
Edit your profile
I am an early medieval Irish historian with research interests in conversion, hagiography, literacy and sexuality. I was educated in UCC, where I studied History and English, before later completing my doctorate in the University of Oxford. My monograph, Literacy and Identity in Early Medieval Ireland (2013), was awarded the Irish Historical Research Prize in 2015. I am currently co-editor of Peritia, Journal of the Medieval Academy of Ireland. Previews and samples of my published academic research can be found on my academia page (https://ucd.academia.edu/ElvaJohnston). I am a member of the Irish Manuscripts Commission. I teach undergraduate modules on various aspects of Late Antique and early medieval history. I offer graduate teaching and supervision on early medieval Ireland. I have supervised several PhD candidates and welcome graduates with interests in all aspects of early medieval Irish history and Insular studies, particularly before the year c. AD 1000. I also mentor postdoctoral scholars in these areas.
- BAUniversity College Cork
- DPhilOxford University UK
- MAUniversity College Cork
- The Cult of Relics in Early Medieval IrelandUniversity College Dublin, History, Dublin, Ireland3 Sep 2012 - 30 Aug 2013Early Irish HistoryPostdoctoral FellowshipSupervised by Johnston E
- Bede, the Irish and IrelandUniversity College Dublin, History, Dublin, Ireland31 Aug 2014 - 1 Sep 2015early medieval historyPostdoctoral FellowshipSupervised by Johnston E
- Saint Brigit's Cult in Ireland and Europe: A Comparative Investigation into the Adaptation, Growth and Success of Medieval Female SanctityUniversity College Dublin, History, Dublin, Ireland30 Sep 2015 - 2 Oct 2017Early Irish HistoryPostdoctoral FellowshipSupervised by Johnston E