Are you Frank Lawrence?
Edit your profile
I was educated at Maynooth, Limerick, Rome and University College Dublin and hold degrees in Music and Modern Irish, Theology, Chant Performance and Medieval Musicology. My doctoral dissertation was a study of the oldest extant notated musical source from Ireland - a mid-twelfth century Gradual written at Lismore. My principal research is on Western medieval liturgical chant with particular emphasis on palaeographical, repertorial and codicological studies of manuscript sources from Ireland, Britain and northern Europe. I focus in particular on the 11th to 13th centuries, but not exclusively. I am always interested in the cultural context of manuscript books and how questions of cultural identity and memory can be illuminated through such studies. My research also encompasses medieval notation in periods of transition, liturgical history in the medieval West, performance practice (medieval chant and polyphony) and a secondary area of research focuses on Catholic church music and devotional music of the 19th and 20th centuries. I sit on the advisory board of the IMS study group, Cantus Planus, the Council of the Henry Bradshaw Society and am Secretary of the Society for Musicology in Ireland/Aontas Ceoleolaíochta na hÉireann. I served as advisory editor on Medieval Music and contributor to the Encyclopaedia of Music in Ireland (EMIR). My teaching at UCD includes courses in tonal theory (harmony, counterpoint) and music history, as well as more specialised courses in Medieval and Renaissance vocal music.
- BANUI Maynooth IRL
- BDPontifical Univ Maynooth
- MAUniversity of Limerick
- PhDUniversity College Dublin
- EnglishCan read, write, speak, understand and peer review
- IrishCan read, write, speak, understand and peer review
- ItalianCan read, write, speak, understand and peer review
- FrenchCan read, write, speak, understand and peer review
- Spanish; CastilianCan read, speak and understand
- GermanCan read, speak and understand
- LatinCan read and understand
- GalicianCan read and understand
- Catalan; ValencianCan read and understand