Are you Fred Cummins?
Edit your profile
PhD (Cognitive Science, Linguistics, Joint Major) Indiana University, 1997. Lecturer, UCD, since 1999. Group leader, Media Lab Europe, 2000-2004. My primary object of study is joint speech (see jointspeech.ucd.ie for more), which may be approached from many directions. I am interested in how voice (and eyes and bodies) conspire to enable us to create shared worlds, how languaging extends beyond the narrow concerns of linguistics to include all our bodily interactions. Empirically, I study joint speech in prayer, protest, among sports fans, in educational settings, and beyond. This raises theoretical issues that go to the heart of human experience, which I approach from a Mind-and-Life perspective. I am increasingly drawn to the study of ritual and to some basic questions in consensual negotiation of knowledge claims.
- LecturerUniversity College Dublin1 Sep 1999 - 31 Dec 2008
- Postdoctoral researcherIDSIA Switzerland1 Sep 1998 - 31 Aug 1999
- Postdoctoral FellowNorthwestern University1 Sep 1997 - 31 Aug 1998
- Research AssistantDr Robert Port1 Jan 1992 - 30 Dec 1995
- Research ScientistMedia Lab Europe1 Jan 2000 - 1 Jan 2004
- BATrinity College Dublin
- MAIndiana University IN. USA
- PhDIndiana University IN. USA
- GermanCan read, write, speak and understand