Are you Harry White?
Edit your profile
Professor Harry White, DMUS (NUI) PHD (DUBL) MA (TORONTO) FRIAM MRIA MAE Chair of Music (1914), University College Dublin Harry White has been Professor of Music at UCD since 1993. He was educated at UCD, the University of Toronto and the University of Dublin (Trinity College). He has held visiting professorships of musicology in Canada, Croatia, Germany and the United Kingdom, and was awarded a Government of Ireland Senior Research Fellowship in 2005. From 2003-6 he was inaugural President of the Society for Musicology in Ireland, and in the latter year he was elected to the Royal Irish Academy. He is an honorary Fellow of the Royal Irish Academy of Music and of the Academy of St Cecilia (London), and he is an honorary Member of the Croatian Musicological Society. He was awarded the Harrison medal of the Society for Musicology in Ireland in 2014. In 2015 he was elected a Member of the Academia Europaea. In 2016 he was elected to Life Membership of the Society for Musicology in Ireland and in 2018 he was elected a Corresponding Fellow of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts. Also in 2018, he was the recipient of a Festschrift entitled Music Preferred: Essays in Cultural History, Musicology and Analysis in Honour of Harry White edited by Lorraine Byrne Bodley and published by Hollitzer Verlag (Vienna). He is perhaps best known for his work on the cultural history of music in Ireland, on which subject he has published three monographs: The Keeper's Recital (1998) The Progress of Music in Ireland (2005) and Music and the Irish Literary Imagination (2008). He is general editor (with Barra Boydell) of The Encyclopaedia of Music in Ireland (2013). He has also published widely on early eighteenth-century music in Europe, and his publications in this domain include Johann Joseph Fux and the Music of the Austro-Italian Baroque (1992; reissued in 2016) and The Musical Discourse of Servitude (forthcoming in 2019). He has published two collections of poetry to date: Polite Forms (2012) and The Kenmare Occurrences (2018). Professor White has served as advisory or contributing editor to many publications, including The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians (London), Current Musicology (New York), the Journal of the Royal Musical Association (London), the International Review of the Aesthetics and Sociology of Music (Zagreb), the Canadian Journal of Irish Studies (Montreal) and the Journal of the Society for Musicology in Ireland (online). He has been general editor (with Gerard Gillen) of Irish Musical Studies (Dublin) since 1990.
- Part-time lecturerSt. Patrick's College, Maynooth30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- Temporary Assistant LecturerUniversity College Dublin30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- College LecturerUniversity College Dublin30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- ProfessorUniversity College Dublin, Professor of Music and Head of Department.30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- Professor of MusicologyUniversity of Western Ontario, Visiting Professor30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- Professor of MusicologyLudwig-Maximilians-Universitat, Munich, Visiting Professor of Musicology30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- BMusUniversity College Dublin
- MAUniversity College Dublin
- MAUniversity of Toronto ON
- PhDTrinity College Dublin