Dr Heidi Riley is Assistant Professor in International Relations in the School of Politics and International Relations, University College Dublin. She is also a member of the UCD GLOBUS research team that examines European contributions to global justice. Heidi’s main research area is in gender and armed conflict, with a particular focus on the interaction between ideology and masculinity within non-state armed groups, and the implications of this for women during and after conflict. As a secondary research area she also works on issues of negotiated settlement, with a focus on women’s participation in international peace mediation. Teaching areas include: International Relations: Theory and Practice, Conflict and Conflict Resolution, Gender Studies, and Qualitative Methods. Heidi holds a PhD from University College Dublin, an MPhil in International Peace Studies from Trinity College Dublin, and an MA Honours in International Relations from the University of Edinburgh. She is the winner of the Conflict Research Society, Cedric Smith Prize (2017) and the International Studies Association, Feminist Theory and Gender Studies Graduate paper award (2018). In addition she was awarded the Irish Research Council Postgraduate Scholarship for her PhD research. Aside from academic credentials, Heidi previously worked for the Conflict Resolution Unit at the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, where she was part of the team implementing the Irish National Action Plan on UNSCR 1325. In addition, she has worked for a variety of Irish human rights NGOs including, Front Line Defenders and Ruhama. Her early career began in the production and technical side of the performing arts in the UK, where she worked for a variety of national and regional theatre, opera and dance companies, touring both nationally and internationally. As a result she is a strong advocate for the use of the arts in conflict resolution.
- Occasional LecturerUniversity College Dublin, School of Politics and International Relations, Dublin, Ireland1 Sep 2014 - 21 Jul 2017
- Events Coordinator and Research AssistantFront Line Defenders14 Aug 2012 - 29 Nov 2012
- Lead RapporteurPeople's Tribunal on Sri Lanka1 Dec 2013 - 22 Dec 2013
- European Masters in Human Rights AdministratorEuropean Inter-University Centre for Human Rights and Democracy8 Feb 2014 - 30 Sep 2017
- Desk OfficerDepartment of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Conflict Resolution Unit17 Oct 2017 - 27 Jul 2018
- PhDUniversity College Dublin