Joseph Brady has been a member of the staff of geography since 1988. He is an urban geographer with wide ranging interests. These are currently focused on the theory and application of utopian city planning and on the study of the growth and development of Dublin. His interest in Dublin has led him, in collaboration with his former colleague Anngret Simms, to publish a series of books entitled The Making of Dublin City. The intention is to study the development of the city form the earliest times to the present day form a geographical perspective. Teaching is an important part of his academic profile and his intention is to develop the resources available to students via the web. Currently these are concentrated on his first and third year urban geography courses but this will be expanded in due course. A member of the Geographical Society of Ireland since 1975, he has been a committee member since 1978, serving in a variety of posts. He is currently editor of the peer-reviewed and internationally recognised journal, Irish Geography , the only journal to focus exclusively on the geography of Ireland. Joe is also deeply involved in the activities of the university. He is a member of the Academic Council and serves on the Governing Authority of University and a wide varity of other bodies and committees. He is a member of the Scientific Council of Urban Institute Ireland , an interdisciplinary and inter-institutional research institute recently established in the University.
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN APPOINTMENTS
- Member Governing AuthorityUniversity College Dublin, IrelandFeb 2001 - Feb 2019
- Head of Geography DepartmentUniversity College Dublin, Ireland1 Sep 2001 - 31 Aug 2005
- Head of School of Geography, Planning and Environmental PolicyUniversity College Dublin, Ireland1 Sep 2005 - 31 Aug 2007
- Dean of ArtsUniversity College Dublin, Ireland1 Aug 2007 - 31 Jul 2014
- Chair, Academic Council Committee on ExaminationsUniversity College Dublin, Ireland1 Jan 2017 - 31 Aug 2019