Professor McMahon joined the UCD Sutherland School of Law in 2004 from the Queen's University of Belfast. He was previously Professor of International Trade Law at the Queen's University of Belfast and has also been a member of staff at the University of Leicester and Victoria University Wellington, New Zealand. He studied Law at the Queen's University of Belfast before undertaking his doctoral studies at the University of Edinburgh. He was awarded his PhD in 1988 for his thesis on European Trade Policy in Agricultural Products, which was subsequently published by Martinus Nijhoff. His primary research interest is agriculture at the European level (the Common Agricultural Policy) and the World Trade Organization (the Agreement on Agriculture) and has published a number of works in this area. He has also published on the relationship between agriculture and the EU's Development Cooperation Policy with particular reference to policy coherence for development.
- Professor of International Trade LawQueens' University of Belfast, Law, Belfast, United Kingdom1 Sep 1998 - 31 Aug 2004
- ReaderQueens' University of Belfast, Law, Belfast, United Kingdome1 Sep 1995 - 31 Aug 1998
- LecturerQueens' University of Belfast, Law, Belfast, United Kingdom1 Sep 1992 - 31 Aug 1995
- Lecturer in LawUniversity of Leicester, Law, Leicester, United Kingdom1 Sep 1988 - 31 Aug 1992
- LecturerVictoria University of Wellington, Law, Wellington, New Zealand1 Jan 1985 - 31 Aug 1988
- LLBQueen's University of Belfast
- PhDUniversity of Edinburgh