Dr. Long holds a first class honours B.E. (Civil) degree and a MEngSc degree from University College Cork and a PhD from University College Dublin. Since 1996 he has been at UCD and is an Associate Professor in the School of Civil Engineering teaching and researching in soil mechanics and geotechnical engineering. His particular areas of interest concern the engineering behaviour of natural soft soils and in particular peat and the construction of deep excavations in urban areas. He has published more than 90 journal papers on these topics. Before joining UCD, Dr. Long worked for consulting engineers, mostly Ove Arup & Partners, as a geotechnical engineer in Ireland, the United Kingdom and Singapore. He was responsible for the management of various large projects and several staff. He has particular experience in site investigation, foundation design, soft ground engineering and deep basement and embankment construction.
- LecturerUniversity College Dublin30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- Consulting Geotechnical EngineerOve Arup & Partners30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- Consulting Geotechnical EngineerESB International30 Dec 1999 - 30 Dec 1999
- BEUniversity College Cork
- MEngScUniversity College Cork
- PhDUniversity College Dublin