Orla Murphy B.Arch M.RIAI is Assistant Professor in the School of Architecture Planning and Environmental Policy (APEP) and owner of Custom Architecture. Orla has been External Examiner in CCAE and invited speaker at UL, CCAE, WIT and DIT. She has contributed to publications on architecture including Charette, Architecture Ireland, the RIAI Annual Review, The Irish Arts Review, and Building Material, the journal of the AAI of which she was editor from 2006-8. An advocate of public engagement with architecture, Orla is co-presenter of the RTÉ documentary series Building Ireland. Orla worked with GCA Architects, Grafton Architects and SJK Architects before establishing her own practice, Custom Architecture, in 2012. She is a recipient of the prestigious Arts Council/OPW Kevin Kieran Award, and with 5 colleagues was selected as Co-Curator/Commissioner of the Irish Pavilion at the 16th International Biennale Architettura in Venice in 2018. She is currently Module Co-Ordinator of the M.Arch Year 1 Architecture Design Studio. Her research and practice focuses on the past, present and future of the Irish rural town, and housing design and their connection with public engagement in architecture and participatory design practice. She continues to be interested in how architecture can engage with a public audience, in testing and employing combinations of media and formats to achieve this, and in developing methodologies of participatory planning and design.
- Assistant ProfessorUniversity College Dublin, Architecture, Dublin, Ireland30 Dec 1999
- External ExaminerUniversity College Cork, Architecture, Cork, Ireland2015 - 2018
- OwnerCustom Architecture1 Dec 2014
- Project ArchitectSimon J Kelly + Partners Architects1 Sep 2004
- Project ArchitectGrafton Architects1 May 2003 - 30 Aug 2008
- Project ArchitectGerry Cahill Architects1 May 1997 - 30 Apr 2003
- Certificate of Professional PracticeUCD