Are you Pat Gibbons?
Edit your profile
Pat Gibbons PhD is Director of the UCD Centre for Humanitarian Action (CHA). Pat worked for more than a decade on both humanitarian and development programmes, in Africa and Ireland, before returning to UCD in 1997 to manage the Master's Programme in Humanitarian Action under the auspices of the Network on Humanitarian Action (NOHA). His experiences spans a range of aid sectors including public, private, NGO as well as academia. He served as President of NOHA between 2007 and 2014. He has championed the development of humanitarian education and research at UCD for the past twenty years. Pat leads a small inter-disciplinary group of academics who are committed to contributing to the first of UCD's Major Strategic Initiatives: 'tackling global challenges'. Pat was the Irish academic representative for the recent World Humanitarian Summit consultative process 2014 - 2016 and he chaired the Irish Humanitarian Summit Steering Committee throughout the consultative process. He is currently Principal Investigator for a number of significant humanitarian research programmes including: the Marie Curie Horizon 2020 RISE Programme titled Preparedness and Resilience to address Urban Vulnerabilities; the Irish Summer School on Gender Based Violence; Building Resilience through Education; and the Irish Humanitarian Innovation Hub.
- Co-ordinatorUniversity College Dublin1 Apr 1997 - 30 Nov 2003
- Lecturer and Director of Humanitarian Action ProgrammeUniversity College Dublin30 Nov 2003 - 3 Dec 2012
- Director of UCD Centre for Humanitarian ActionUniversity College Dublin12 Mar 2012
- Technical AdvisorDept. of Foreign Affairs1 Nov 1995 - 1 Apr 1997
- Community Development Co-ordinatorBallyhoura Development Ltd (BDL)1 Jun 1993 - 1 Nov 1995
- Agricultural Science Teacher - Gambia West AfricaVoluntary Services Overseas/ Agency for Personnel Services Overseas1 Feb 1989 - 1 Feb 1992
- Agricultural AdvisorJ & C Sheridan and Company Ltd1 Apr 1987 - 1 Feb 1989
- PhDUniversity College Dublin1996 - 2003
- EnglishCan read, write, speak and understand
- IrishCan read, write, speak and understand