Susan completed her degree in Medicinal Chemistry in Trinity College Dublin (2005), after which she carried out her PhD in Organic Chemistry (2009), as well as a short post-doc in biodegradable chewing gum, in UCD. In 2010, she moved to the Technical University Berlin, where she worked on the nano- and micro- surface patterning of biomaterials and investigated the ability of these surfaces to influence cell behaviour. In 2012, Susan joined Dublin City University, where she worked for 2 years on the functionalisation of surfaces and nanoparticles for use in point-of-care devices, and in 2014, secured independent funding to begin her own research projects in the areas of bioresponsive materials, nanopatterning and biomimetic engineering. In October 2016, Susan took up the position of Assistant Professor in UCD and set up the Nanostructured Biomaterials Group.
- Assistant ProfessorUniveristy College Dublin, ireland3 Oct 2016
- Research FellowDublin City Univeristy, Ireland1 Jan 2015 - 30 Sep 2016
- Senior Post-doctoral ResearcherDublin City University, Biomedical Diagnostics Institute, Ireland1 May 2012 - 31 Dec 2014
- Post-doctoral ResearcherTechnical University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany1 Mar 2010 - 30 Mar 2012
- BATrinity College Dublin
- PhDUniversity College Dublin