School of Biomolecular and Biomedical Science
Are you Tara McMorrow?
Edit your profile
Tara McMorrow (BSc, PhD, Grad Dip UTL, ERT) is an associate professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology and a Conway Research Fellow. She graduated from University College Galway in 1995 with an Enterprise Ireland funded PhD in molecular biology. She subsequently undertook an EU post-doctoral fellowship at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam in Cell Biology and Genetics, under Professor Frank Grosveld. She was awarded a Conway Research Fellowship in 2001 in Pharmacology in UCD and was appointed lecturer in Pharmacology in 2005. She is currently the Vice Principal of Research, Innovation and Impact in the UCD College of Science. She is also director of the UCD Centre for Toxicology (https://toxicology.ucd.ie/). Her research focus is in the area of toxicology and the development of alternatives methods in toxicity testing. Research areas under development include the use of high through-put screening in chemical toxicity testing, and identification of novel therapeutic compounds in cancer treatment. She is an SFI funded Principal Investigator. She has published over 60 peer-reviewed publications including publications in leading journals such as EMBO, Blood and JASN. She reviews for numerous international journals and grant funding agencies, and has been an invited speaker at several conferences. She has also been on the organizing committees of several international conferences in Ireland, including the ERCSG2016 and ICOH2018. Tara is actively involved in teaching to undergraduate students in Science, Medicine and Nursing as well as graduate students in Toxicology, Regulatory Affairs, Biotechnology, Occupational Health and Safety. She completed a graduate diploma in university teaching and learning in 2013 and has won several teaching awards. She was also the Curriculum Review and Enhancement Project Champion for graduate taught programmes in the College of Science from 2015-2017, as part of the university review project. She is the academic director of graduate and continuing professional development programmes in Toxicology and Regulatory Affairs, and was previously the academic director of the graduate programmes in Biotechnology and Business in the UCD School of Biomolecular and Biomedical Science. She is also a registered toxicologist and provides expert reports and consultations in all areas of toxicology. She is a member of the Irish Society of Toxicology and was previously President of the IST from 2016-2018. She is a member of the Register of Toxicologists in Ireland. She is also currently an expert member of the Food Safety Authority of Ireland, Chemical Safety sub-committee. She has been a member of the European Society of Toxicologists since 2013 and is also currently a member of the EUROTOX Education Sub-committee.
- EU Postdoctoral Research FellowErasmus University, Rotterdam, Department of Cell Biology1 Nov 1995 - 31 Oct 1998
- Enterprise Ireland Postdoctoral Research FellowUniversity College Dublin, Department of Medical Microbiology, Biotechnology Centre1 Nov 1998 - 30 Apr 2000
- Conway Postdoctoral Research FellowConway Institute, University College Dublin, Department of Pharmacology, Conway Institute1 May 2000 - 30 Apr 2002
- DMMC Senior Research FellowConway Institute, University College Dublin, Department of Pharmacology, Conway Institute, UCD.1 May 2002 - 31 Aug 2005
- LecturerUniversity College Dublin, School of Biomolecular and Biomedical Science1 Sep 2005 - present
- GDipUniversity College Dublin2011 - 2013
- PhD in Molecular BiologyNational University of Ireland Galway, Ireland